How to Choose a HEPA Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Every time you vacuum, your allergies go haywire and you have to pop an allergy tablet to get them under control. Since you have pets, there is a great deal of pet hair as well as dust floating around in the air when you clean. A HEPA vacuum cleaner can help you with these issues and can go a long way towards keeping your allergies in check on a daily basis.
What Does a HEPA Filter Do?
You may not know what a HEPA model does or even what its benefits can be. HEPA stands for "High-Efficiency Particulate Air," and these models include a special filter that can be of particular aid for allergy sufferers.
- A vacuum with this type of filter can remove even the smallest microns and particles from the air, reducing the overall number of allergens floating in your home.
- A canister vacuum that includes the HEPA feature is also more adept at removing pet hair and dander, which is a plus for cat and dog owners.
- This type of vacuum captures allergens instead of blowing them back out into the environment, as some traditional types of canister vacuums do.
What Are Some Features of HEPA Vacuum Cleaners?
There are many brands that make canister cleaners, in addition to a range of available features, so choosing one can mean narrowing down some specific factors. Choosing the features that are right for you can help you to select the right vacuum cleaner.
- You can select from bagged or bagless vacuum cleaners. Bagless vacuums mean that when the canister is full, you simply empty it, while bagged vacuums require you to change the bag when its full. If you choose a bagged vacuum, opt for one with an indicator that lets you know when its time for a new bag.
- A vacuum cleaner with a telescopic wand is an effortless way to get into those hard-to-reach spots as you vacuum. Since they extend, you dont have to worry about grabbing a ladder to vacuum high spots, and they help you get into corners and crevices more effectively.
Which Brands Make HEPA Vacuum Cleaners?
Shopping by brand is one way to select a HEPA vacuum, and there are many brands that create canister vacuums with distinct features.
- Dyson makes a wide range of devices that include a HEPA filter. These also have helpful features including telescopic handles and retractable cords. Some models include the Origin, which is geared for dust removal, and the Multifloor Pro, which has high suction to get dirt and debris out of the way.
- Miele vacuums offer complete cleaning systems, and some of the devices come with multiple attachments. These vacuums work on carpet as well as hardwood flooring, making them versatile devices. Some Miele models include the Blizzard and the Calima.
- Choose a Kenmore device thats meant solely to remove pet dander, such as the 81614 model. Kenmore also makes devices that clean both bare floors and carpet.