GE Refrigerator Freezer Seals and Gaskets
Installing a new refrigerator door gasket is an easy way to repair your fridge. A gasket helps to seal the cold air inside of the refrigerator, so it is important to select one that fits properly. Those with GE refrigerators can purchase gaskets that match the precise model of their appliance.What are GE gaskets made from?
Most refrigerator door gaskets are made from special synthetic compounds. This company uses PVC and MS materials. These plastics have a rubbery texture, and they are both flexible and soft. Even at chillier temperatures, the compounds used to create gaskets can still do some stretching and flexing. Depending on the part you order, it may also have metal screws or magnets that help to fix the seal to the appliance.How do you install a refrigerator door gasket?
Once you get your new refrigerator gasket, you can follow these steps to put it on your door:
- Soak your gasket in warm water to make the parts softer and more flexible.
- Choose a level working surface. Installation will be easier if you remove the door and place it on a flat, level surface.
- Remove the old gasket. Start at the top of the door and slowly remove the parts. If it is a screw-on item, be sure to leave the screws partially in place so the liner does not detach entirely.
- Thoroughly clean the door's surface after removal to ensure the new seal will be as tight as possible.
- Apply the new refrigerator gasket. Start along the middle of a door side and slowly apply the gasket. Tighten screws or other fastening devices after it goes all the way around the door.
- Close the refrigerator door. Then check the gasket's fit after opening the door to make sure it is flat and straight even when closed.
Though many gaskets are designed to repair multiple GE models, you still need to make sure you are selecting the right type. Different styles may have slightly different shapes and sizes.
- Refrigerator: A standard refrigerator door gasket for GE is a classic rectangle that seals the main refrigerator door.
- Freezer: Depending on your style of GE appliance, this may be a long, thin rectangle or a short, thick rectangle that fits around the freezer door.
- Refrigerator-freezer combo: Some models are extra large so they fit around both the refrigerator and the freezer.
- Water filter: These smaller appliance parts fit around the edge of a water filter on a fridge door.
- Fan: These parts are smaller than those for the main fridge door; they just fit around the refrigerator fan.