Power Drill Bits
There are many options for drill bits, so you will want to choose carefully. Make sure the bit you select will work for your specific power tool and drilling needs.What are star head screws called?
Star head screws are commonly called Torx, which is pronounced "torks." The name Torx is a trademark that was developed in 1967 by Camcar Textron. Torx screw heads and drill bits have a star shape with six points. Torx are often called by generic names, such as star, star bits, or star screwdriver.Do all drill bits fit in all drills?
No, they do not. The portion of the drill that holds the bit is called a chuck. The size of the drills chuck determines the diameter of the drill bit that will fit inside. The diameter in question is the shank of the drill bit, which is the end that is opposite to the cutting end. Drill chucks come in the following sizes, which represent the maximum size of drill-bit shank you can use with them.
- one-quarter inch
- three-eighths inch - The most common size in use; even larger drill bits will often use a smaller shaft to fit these chucks
- one-half inch
Changing a cordless drill bit is relatively easy. It only takes a few steps.
- Use one hand to hold the drill bit in place.
- Tighten the jaws of the drills chuck by turning the metal chuck key with your other hand in a clockwise manner.
- Tighten the chuck jaws as firmly as possible.
- Remove the chuck key, and take your hand off the bit.
- Test the drill to see if it is drilling properly.
Metal, specifically steel and titanium, drill bits that are capable of cutting or drilling through concrete are referred to as masonry bits. They can also be used for drilling through stone, brick, and tile. Among the strongest type of drill bits are those with a carbide tip. Another option is a bit with a diamond tip. They are extremely durable when cutting or drilling through material with hard surfaces.Is a screw gun the same as a power drill?
Screw guns are similar to power drills. They often look like a drill. However, they are designed differently. Instead of a chuck, they have a nose. The nose holds the tip, which is usually one-quarter inch in diameter.