Contemporary Curio Cabinets
Contemporary curio cabinets are available in a variety of colors and finishes. Materials like metal, glass, and wood are often used to make this furniture.What colors and materials are available in contemporary curio cabinets?
Contemporary curio cabinets are available in a variety of colors, including black, brown, gray, red, silver, and white. Wood tones range from light to medium to dark, depending on the wood or wood-like finished utilized in the piece. Some pieces include multiple colors together.
- Woods include cherry, mahogany, oak, birch, and pine. Finishes vary based on the color of the wood and finish. For instance, a piece crafted from lightly colored birch may appear red or dark depending on the particular type of stain used. Conversely, if the piece was coated with polyurethane, it would appear light in color.
- Glass is a common material used for shelving because it allows you to view the items in the cabinet from any angle.
- Metals, like stainless steel, may be used for edging, doors, and closures.
Some curio cabinets feature corner pieces, glass-fronted styles, mirrored glass, and doors.
- Corner pieces are built so that they can be placed in the corner of a room as a display piece.
- Glass-fronted styles are common. Due to the glass’s transparency, light is able to shine into the piece at more angles than it would if the piece were crafted from metal or wood. This allows for better visibility of the contents inside.
- Mirrored glass is sometimes utilized on the front or sides of a curio piece if the owner wants less light to enter the inside of the cabinet. Rather than transparent glass, mirrored glass allows light to come into the piece, but visibility is limited in a mirrored contemporary curio cabinet.
- Curios with doors are another way to keep contents safe and protected. They can cut down on how often you need to dust your displayed items.
Curio cabinets come in a variety of sizes. Some are upward of 5 feet tall, while others are a couple of feet tall and designed to fit in smaller spaces. Size governs how many pieces can be stored in a cabinet.What are some care tips for a cabinet?
The care required depends on the materials that the cabinet is crafted from. Often, metal can be wiped clean with a soft, damp cloth and dried promptly. Glass can be cleaned with glass cleaner and newspaper to prevent or remove any streaking. Wood furniture can be polished periodically to help prevent staining and dust buildup.